Friday, April 18, 2008

How Many Years?

On the one hand, it seems like another life. On the other, it seems like just yesterday.

Chuggers isn't there anymore, Kim. It's been replaced by a Mediterrean restaurant. I do not know where all those students go to drink now, but I'm sure they are managing fine. In fact, VCU is crazy to all of you who haven't been here in awhile. The campus is spreading like a fungus and Trani is gradually taking over the city.

I am still here. And kind of surprised by it. Bought the cutest house on earth. It was built in 1910. About all I do is repair things that are very quickly falling apart. This weekend, I'll be repairing my gutters. I've become handy by necessity. That's not all I do though. Last year, I started a jewelry business and before that I went back to a sort of school and learned energy healing. I have a studio for the jewelry and I do energy work in my home. Oh, and I had a yoga studio in town for about 5 years. So, yeah, jewelry, energy work, yoga...I'm now a hippy.

For awhile I taught creative writing for adults at cultural arts centers around town, but I started feeling like a fraud since I wasn't writing much so I stopped. I do write though on my blog at http://mayerain.com. I started a book last year and then stopped. Who knows if I'll get back to it? I don't have time and I'm pretty happy writing whatever I want on my blog. I never thought I'd be the kind of person who would have a blog, let alone enjoy it.

I still keep in touch with a few folks from the program: Virginia, Sheri Reynolds, Amy Tudor. Oh, and Gary Sange is retiring from VCU this year. I have an invite to forward to you if you want to go?

Thanks, Anne, for doing this.

No comments: